Skip to content

Gas Fireplace Safety

Close up of electric fireplace with orange and yellow fire flame.

Gas fireplaces are quite a popular way to warm up in a traditional way without some of the mess. With the flip of a switch you can sit back and enjoy a cozy, warm fire without the trouble of real logs or smoke and fumes. And gas fireplaces burn with up to 90% efficiency rating, meaning almost no pollution.

Gas fireplaces are designed to look so similar to a real wood burning fireplace that many people can’t tell the difference. So while you may not get the nostalgic pop and snap of a real fire, you get an extremely clean, versatile warmth with cost-effective convenience. You also get a wide variety of fireplace designs and installation options. You can choose the design that best matches your home and you have an option to install a fireplace in more rooms than ever before.

Gas Fireplace Safety

Hire a licensed contractor. This is NOT a do-it-yourself job; working with gas lines requires a professional technician.

Ask that your contractor installs and oxygen-depletion sensor. Sometimes called a “safety-pilot” this device will automatically shut off the gas if the temperature gets too cold or there is too much carbon monoxide built up.

Install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your house. Tests show that gas fireplaces do not increase carbon monoxide levels in your home, but you should have detectors installed anytime you use any kind of gas burning appliance.

Have your gas log set professionally and inspected at least once a year.

During a routine maintenance inspection, the professional will:

  • Clean and adjust the logs and accessories like the glowing “embers” so they look their best. Clear the fan and air circulation passages.
  • Clean the glass.
  • Check the batteries in the carbon monoxide detector.
  • Make sure you vents are unobstructed.

Keep your children away from the gas fireplace. If your model has glass doors, they will get hot enough to burn little hands that lean against it.

Keep all household items and flammable objects at least three feet away from your fireplace.

Contact Accuair Heating and Cooling at 541-504-8400 if you smell an unusual odor or the appearance of the flames has changed. If you smell gas, call 911 and leave the house.

Burning gas can deplete the oxygen in your home. You should crack open a window to replace the oxygen in your room.

Keep your fireplace damper open to allow carbon monoxide to escape.

The staff at AccuAir Heating and Cooling hopes you found this information useful! Please call us at 541-504-8400 if you have any questions, or request service online.

Need HVAC Service?

Contact the experts at AccuAir Heating and Cooling.

Call us at 541-504-8400!

Read More of Our Articles

View other articles.